Working from home is a challenging time for everyone. Even more so if you’re trying to manage pain and discomfort.
For many of you the pain or discomfort has increased without the assistance of your regular massage. To help you through these unprecedented times and to help manage tightness here are some stretches focusing on the neck, back and shoulders.
If pain presents itself during any of these stretches please stop immediately.
- Sit on your left hand this is to anchor the shoulder, with your right arm put it close to the left ear look down to your right thigh and gently pull until you feel the left side of your neck stretching slightly, without pain presenting. Hold for 7 seconds then move on to the right side.
Sit on your right hand put your arm over the top of your head close to your right ear, look down to your left thigh then gently pull until you feel the right side of your neck stretching without pain presenting. Hold for 7 seconds. Do this 3 times each side. Again, no pain should be present just a gentle stretch.
- Sit on both your hands. Sitting up straight, move your head forward as close to your chest as you can, without pain presenting hold for 7 seconds. Gently move your head slowly backwards as far as you can looking directly at the ceiling. Hold for 7 seconds in a comfortable position without pain presenting. You should feel the stretch of the muscles from the back of your neck (scull area) the stretch could go down as far as the shoulder blades.
- Sit on your right hand, lift your left hand on your head near the right ear, gently move your head to the left shoulder as far as you can without pain, hold this position for 7 seconds. You should feel a stretch on the right side of your neck.
Sit on you left hand, lift you right hand on your head near the left ear. Gently move your head towards the right shoulder as close to the right shoulder as you can without pain, hold for 7 seconds. You should feel this stretch on the left side of your neck.
This particular stretch requires you to be laying on the floor. If you are not able to but are able to lie on your bed to do this stretch please do it that way.
Equipment required: A pool noodle, a foam roller or roll a full bath towel.
- Place which ever equipment you are going to use on the floor and lie on the item ensuring it is placed vertically down the middle of your back, running down your spine. Your legs should be vertical to your spine. Bring your arms from your side with your palms facing upward run your arms along the floor/bed, bring them up to your shoulders. If possible, without pain extend them further up to your ears. Continue this for about 2 minutes. You should feel the stretch in your chest and pecs.
Mid Back Shoulder Squeezes:
- Take both arms around to your back if possible, grab hold of your hands behind your back, you should feel your chest opening up. Pull your shoulders back and down, you should feel the stretch in the shoulder blades on both sides of them.
If you have had trouble, or pain when trying any of these stretches, please do not hesitate to call or e-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.